a well stocked mind is safe from boredom


Hi everyone! Hope you're having an awesome break! I think you'll agree with me, that free time is so hard to come by. Most of the time I feel so overwhelmed by things to do, juggling work and the stuff I do for fun like this blog or even reading my email inbox (I'm subscribed to more blogs than I can handle to read on a daily basis). The funny part is that when I finally get a vacation, I have so much free time I get bored. I can only handle one day of doing nothing before I feel like I might pull my hair out. So here are my too foolproof options to kill some time by yourself. I have a suggestion for you if you're staying in the city, and another one if you're going away to the beach/lake and have no internet connection.

THE CITY:

One word: NETFLIX. Before joining the monthly subscription movie website, I asked around to see if it was worth it. I know it's only $8 a month, but I'm cheap with this kind of stuff. I didn't want to get stuck with paying a fee for not using the service. I found out that people are very extreme about Netflix, they either love it or hate it. I've been using Netflix for about two months now, and I'm on camp LOVE IT! 


Why I'm Team Netflix:

1. The first month is free
2. You can cancel your subscription at any time
3. They have a HUGE selection, the one in the US version is better. Netflix works by detecting your IP, so if you want access to the US version instead of Netflix Latin America, download a program like Hotspot Shield. Run it, close your browser and reopen it, then open Netflix!


Idea for this long weekend:


Have a classic movie marathon! You've probably heard that Audrey Hepburn is a great source of inspiration for a lot of designers, plus her quotes are all over pinterest, but have you ever actually seen one of her movies? This is your chance! Netflix has all of her most famous films, like Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday, Sabrina and Charade. 




WEEKEND AWAY FROM HOME:

One word: Zinio. I LOVE magazines. I used to have a monthly subscription to my fave ones like Vogue and Elle Decor, until I got my ipad. Now, instead of hauling all the paper version of magazines (they clock at around 2lbs each), I downloaded the Zinio ipad app and read them there.


Why I'm team zinio:

1. You can download the magazines to watch them while you're offline
2. They have a huge selection in a variety of subjects like fashion, health, home decor and cooking
3. The first time you subscribe to a magazine, most subscriptions cost between $10 and $30. After the year is up, they either offer you a super discount and can renew them for $5, or you get store credit for what you pay
4. Even if you subscribe to a magazine for over $10, it's still cheaper than paying $5-$10 for the paper version each month at the store


Idea for the long weekend:


I take my ipad everywhere, so why not take it with you on your trip? Just make sure to download the magazines to your reader before you leave. For first time subscribers, I recommend Marie Claire, Harper's Bazaar and Elle Decor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...