weekend food: dips

Dip Night! Clockwise from the big white one: Cucumber Dip, Palitroque Sauce,
Tomato Salsa (recipe not included but I can give it to you if you want it)


You know that saying, "live every day as if it were your last?" Of course you do. Honestly, on a day like today, I don't like that saying. If I lived every day as if it were my last, I sure wouldn't be sitting here at my desk, drinking an iced tea, waiting for these last five minutes before I can go on my lunch break. No. You know where I would be? Probably New York, hunting down a hot dog food cart (I have a craving), or London hunting down a great fish and chips place. If money were tight, I'd probably be looking for a chori (a delicious fried hot dog for those of you outside El Salvador). In any case, you know what I wouldn't spend my days doing? Working at my desk. 

It's good timing that it's the weekend, and since we're on the topic of food now, I want to share with you three super easy dips. I had a couple of chips with the cucumber one yesterday for lunch, and it was no New York, but it was hm hm yummy.



CUCUMBER DIP

Ingredients:
1 medium cucumber
1 small container of natural yogurt (I use yes, but any brand works)
1 container of cream cheese substitute (dos pinos)
Dill (eneldo)
Crushed garlic
Salt, pepper, garlic powder

I recommend doing this one day ahead so that the flavors blend well together, but it works either way. 

How To:

1. Peel your cucumber.
2. Using your peeler, slice the cucumber very finely and then chop those slices into very small pieces.
3. Salt your chopped cucumber (about 1 teaspoon) and leave it in a bowl for at least half an hour to rest. If you're in a rush you can skip this, but your dip will be thinner.
4. After the hour has passed, squeeze your cucumber to remove the excess water.
5. In a separate bowl, mix your yogurt with half the tub of your cream cheese substitute. I use the Dos Pinos In Line brand to make the dip lighter. I find it tastes just like regular cream cheese, but you can also use the real thing. Smash it well with a fork to make it smooth.
6. Mix this with your cucumbers + about a tablespoon of freshly chopped dill (you can add more) + 1 tablespoon crushed garlic. I use the one that comes pre-chopped in a bowl, but if you press it fresh, use one large clove.
7. I like my dip garlicky, so I add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. 
8. EAT ALL THE CHIPS WITH THIS! This one goes better with bready chips like pita crisps, or plain tortilla chips.



TUNA DIP

Ingredients:
1 container of cream cheese substitute (dos pinos)
1 can jalapeƱo tuna
Garlic powder, salt, pepper

How To:

1. This one is by far the easiest one. Open up your tuna can and remove the excess water.
2. Mix your tuna with the whole container of cream cheese or cream cheese substitute
3. Add 1 teaspoon garlic powder + salt and pepper to taste
4. INHALE WITH CHIPS! This one goes great with any kind of chip.



PIZZA HUT HACK DIP (palitroque sauce)

Ingredients:
3oz. ground beef
1 bag of tomato sauce (I use naturas)
1 medium tomato
1 small carrot
1/2 small onion
Red wine vinegar (optional)
Crushed garlic
Oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper

How To:

So, I love Pizza Hut breadsticks (palitroques), mostly because of their dipping sauce. Lately, they have thinned out their sauces way too much, and they look more like meat soup than sauce. So here you go, my garlicky version :)

1. Start by chopping your tomato and onion into small squares, grate your carrot.
2. Spray your pan with cooking spray or use 1 tsp of oil, add your crushed garlic, onions, tomato and carrots. Cook them up a little in medium heat, until they start looking soft, this takes about 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan.
3. In the same pan, add the meat and season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook it until well done.
4. Mix together the meat with the vegetables, now add the bag of tomato sauce. To thin it out, take your same bag and fill it up halfway with water. Add this to the pan.
5. Add about 1 teaspoon of oregano + 1 tsp red wine vinegar if you have it
6. Lower the heat a little, and let it simmer (cook it until it starts to bubble). When to stop? If you like your sauce on the thin side, take it off the heat after about two minutes after it starts to bubble. If you like it thicker, let it cook a little longer, no more than ten minutes.
7. Before you take it off the heat, taste it for salt, pepper and garlic. Add more if needed and cook for an extra minute.
8. STUFF YOUR FACE WITH SAUCEY GOODNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...