be happy!

My bedroom is currently undergoing a budget renovation. It's actually been that way for most of 2012, and it's taking so long because I only buy materials for a project every time I get paid. Bonus, it's also been an exercise in will power. The three biggest problems I've found are: 

1. Finding storage space that won't break the bank
2. Sorting through my things and deciding what to keep, what to sell and what to give away
3. Finding budget friendly ways to decorate and make my room my own


One of the biggest and by far most dramatic projects I've tackled was painting the room a different color. I did it all myself, because I splurged on paint so I had no money left to hire someone to do the painting for me. Plus, if I had an extra $100 lying around, I'd probably save it or buy shoes. My motto: Always DIY it if it can be done for cheaper. Except washing my car, I hate doing that. The whole paint job took me about a week, and not even cross-fit has made my arms hurt so bad. But it was so worth it. 

I love that my room now had bright glossy walls, but I still felt that there was something missing. I set my sights on a wall gallery, so I asked at my local hardware store how expensive it would be to frame stuff, and every frame ranged in price from $15 to $45. So, 10 photos * about $30 each = NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS. Remembering my motto, I turned to Pinterest for inspiration. I found a story  The Glitter Guide did on the home of blogger Katie Rogers from Paper Fashion, which featured photos hung on the walls using inexpensive japanese washi tape (fancy name for tirro). 



THE HOW TO:

One of my favorite Pinterest boards is my be happy! board, where I pin inspirational and funny quotes.

1. I chose my favorite ones,
2. arranged them in tabloids using photoshop,
3. printed them out in cardstock**,
4. cut them up and hung them using double stick tape, and accenting some with yellow washi tape I bought at a hardware store.

For under $15 (the cost of ONE frame), I now have a whole gallery :)


**If you don't have photoshop, all printers have graphic designers who will arrange the images for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...